Monday, April 26, 2010

Survival of the Fittest! Part 3

"What?" Maggie almost choked on a walnut.
"Are you a Virgin?" Spencer repeated, smiling deviously as he leaned back in his chair with both hands around his glass of wine. They were seated in a semi-private room that was a converted elevator shaft in Characters Fine Dining Restaurant. It was recommended by the bellhop at the hotel, Mags was staying in.
"He really is quite a character," she thought to herself, as the heat in her cheeks slowly subsided. "What is he up to?" she took a leisurely sip of her red wine, a glass of 2007 Shiraz ‘Footbolt’ – d’Arenberg. At $9 dollars a glass, she was taking her time enjoying the aromas and flavours of the plums, blackcurrants, cherries and raspberries of this fine Australian wine.
"Why this question Spence?"she set down her wine and relaxed her shoulders.
"You asked me to changed the subject." he stated innocently, "besides," he continued, "If we can't talk about religion... there's only Politics and Sex left to talk about. And..." He leaned forward and set his glass down and picked up his fork and knife, "You don't like politics. That leaves sex." he shoveled in a fork full of  bacon wrapped beef tenderloin and ate.
 "There are other topics you know." she twirled some more of her Spicy Lobster Spaghetti around her fork and took a bite.
"What other topics?"
"Well.... Motorcycles?" she smiled. That should catch him off guard. Anything, to get his mind off her sex life. She wasn't ready to share her past with him just yet. It was a dark memory for her. She need some preparation time in prayer before she opened up.
"Motorcycles?" his eyes bore into her, as if he could see into the depths of her being. For a moment, she couldn't help but feel uncomfortable. 
"You know motorcycles?" he continued to gaze.
"Yes I do."
"You are changing the subject."
"I used to own a motorcycle."
"Really?" he said in sarcastic disbelief and took another bite of his medium-rare piece of meat.
"Yes I did, and if you don't believe me. I can send a picture when I get home." she huffed.
"Well, I guess we're talking about motorcycles then..."


E-mail from Spencer to Maggie,


Hey Mags,


Really enjoyed, spending time again with you. 
I didn't forget.... You were supposed to send a picture of your bike. Until I see it with my own eyes I will not believe.  That's just who I am.


Here's a little quote for you:


If a faithful account was rendered of man's idea's upon divinity, he would be obliged to acknowledge, that for the most part the word 'gods' has been used to express the concealed, remote, unknown causes of the effects he witnessed; that he applies this term when the spring of the natural, the source of known causes, ceases to be visible: as soon as he loses the thread of these causes, or as soon as his mind can no longer follow the chain, he solves the difficulty, terminates his research, by ascribing it to his gods.....
 When, therefore , he ascribes to his gods the production of some phenomenon.... does he, in fact, do anything more than substitute for the darkness of his own mind, a sound to which he has been accustomed to listen with reverential awe?
- Paul Heinrich Dietrich, Baron von Holbach

Mags... only science is rational; only science achieves truth. Everything else is mere belief and opinion.
I will believe God when I see God.

Enjoy your day.
Spence

Spencer Sorrentino Phd
Child & Adolescent Psychologist and Program Advisor
Canadian Mental Health Association



Email from Maggie to Spencer:


Good Morning Spence,


Here is a little quote for you by Stephen C. Meyer PHD in Physics, Geology, History and Philosophy of science:


 "To say that science is the only begetter of truth is self-contradicting, because that statement in itself cannot be tested by the scientific method. It's a self-defeating philosophical assumption....I certainly respect science, I don't believe scientific knowledge necessarily takes precedence over other things that we know. For instance, philosopher J.P Moreland has argued that there are some things we know more certainly through introspection than we know from the sciences. I know I have free will on the basis of my introspection, and no studies in the social sciences will convince me otherwise....In addition, history can tell us much, even though we can't test it by repeated experiment."


If you would like to read more... see chapter 4 of The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel


as for my bike.... Here's a picture:


I had a great time too.... It's been really nice... connecting again as friends. I've realized, I've really missed you these past 20 years.

Take care Spence

Another quote:
"God's grace is the most unreasonable thing in the world. It's also the most powerful. Nothing is more effective for transforming lives, risky though it is."
Dwight Edwards  from "Experiencing God"

PS: Would you be interested in going to Haiti in May?







No comments: