Thursday, October 22, 2009

Trusting God Amid Rejection

  "They don't want our food!" Krista came up to me last thursday afternoon. We had just spent the morning making Mac 'n cheese and chili for a family where the husband lost his job and the wife was laid off. They didn't want help? They didn't need help? They were allergic to the food? Who knows?
  It was in the back of my mind, when we started this new direction, that one day we may come across rejection. We see what God has done in our own lives and in turn we wish to share that with others. It feels good helping.... But when rejection actually materialized.......I just know, that I felt uncomfortable. Some may take rejection as an insult and refuse to help anyone else.
" Here I am trying to help.... and they don't want it! I could have spent my time doing something else... What a waste of time!"  It hurts, when others don't accept the love (in action) you wish to give and it does hurt your ego. But, it's not about me. Is it? It's not about my feelings or my time and resources. Jesus actually commands his followers to help others.

John 21:15-17
When they finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."
A third time he said, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" Peter said, "Lord, you know everything, you know that I love you!"
He said to him, "Feed my sheep."

  On the eve of his Lords death, Peter rejected Christ three times before the rooster crowed. As they sat there around the camp fire a few weeks later, Jesus didn't ask Peter the same question three times because the man was hard of hearing. It was for emphasis. Jesus was saying, "Pay attention here.... this is important! Take care of my people, help them, love them, feed them."

John 10:4
 When he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him.

Love = Action

Jesus went out into the world and acted out love. He wants us to move into action. Yes, there will be rejection. But, do we allow the fear of a kick in the teeth or a cold shoulder, hold us back from the amazing things we could do?
 
"At first, I felt really uncomfortable," the woman explained to Krista, "I was concerned at what my children were saying to their friends about our family." Fear of what other's would think, fear that other people were talking about them.
"This is not a group of gossip, "Krista told her, "Just a group of women that want to give back to the community and be the hands and feet of Christ." In the end, the family did accept our gift of food for the blessing and grace in which it was given.
God can use you to change other peoples lives. Actively loving people and reaching out and do it on purpose is something we need to do everyday. We need to make the decision to be a part of that change and to trust God amid the rejection.

 God put each fresh morning, each new change of life, into our hands as a gift to see what we will do with it. What are you going to do with your gift?

No comments: