Thursday, November 3, 2011

Behind the Mask


My daughter was making masks today. Beautiful ones with feathers. Then she put on a puffy skirt and danced as if she were at a Masked Ball. 
I remember, long ago, in a far away galaxy, I too loved to get dressed up.  Behind a mask, I could be anyone and it was usually a princess... one who knew how to use a light saber. 
Princess Leia was my hero. No damsel in distress was I... I packed a piece and knew how to use it (it was never loaded). I wish I really had Leia's strength sometimes. Reality was, I could easily be pushed over. But everything was always OK. I hid it behind a different mask... the smile. 
"I'm OK." We flip from one mask to another not letting people see who we really are. What's really going on inside. We're afraid that people won't like the real us.
I had a Birthday recently and all my heart really wanted was the gift of time with those I love (and a pair of slippers, a Black Forest Cake and Sushi). :) In the past, I could never be honest with my needs.

"World Peace." I would reply. Even though it's something I desire, it's also a frustrating answer for those who asked, "What would you like for your Birthday?" I didn't want to be an inconvenience or trouble. So, I shrugged my shoulders and left it up to others never to rock the boat.            
This year was different. I didn't beat around the bush and I had a wonderful Sushi lunch with my Baby Sister and another great Swiss Chalet lunch (on a different day), with my parents and precious time to just hang out with my family. It was great. 
Sometimes it's scary to let people see the real you. You run the risk of getting your heart broken. On the flip side, it's a lonely place when you don't let people in. 


Take a risk today. Tell someone, something about the real you inside... behind the mask.


Oh, by the way... I'm still waiting for my slippers and Black Forest Cake... Just putting it out there.


Behind the Scenes
Album: My Paper Heart
Artist: Francesca Battistelli
You may think
I’m just fine
How could anything
Ever be out of line?
I take my time
To set the stage
To make sure everything
Is all in place
Even though I’ve got the lines rehearsed
A picture only paints a thousand words
(Chorus)
Things aren’t always what they seem
You’re only seeing part of me
There’s more than you could ever know
Behind the scenes
I’m incomplete and I’m undone
But I suppose like everyone
There’s so much more that’s going on
Behind the scenes
Sometimes I can’t see
Anything
Through the dark
Surrounding me
And at times I’m unsure
About the ground
Beneath my feet
If it’s safe and sound
When it’s hard to find hope in the unseen
I have peace in knowing it will find me
(Chorus)
You may think I’m just fine
How could anything ever be out of line?

No comments: