Sunday, November 13, 2011

Impatient Patient

"This hospital bed is like an ironing board," my daughter whined sleepily, "the pillow's too thin and uncomfortable," with a grunt she lay her head down and sighed, "How much longer is this going to take. Where's the doctor. I'm tired. I want to go home."
"We've waited this long honey," my husband stroked her hair, "just a bit longer."
"The doctor has a lot of patients to look after tonight. We have to wait our turn," he said gently and kissed her forehead, "besides the pillow's bigger than the ones you get on an airplane."
After 3 hours of waiting and tests they were home again with a diagnosis. Ruptured eardrum. OW!
"It's a good thing we don't live in a third world country," my husband said to me, "your daughter is not a patient patient."
Almost 24 hours later with a few doses of amoxicillan in her, she is almost back to her usual self.

Here is her story in her own words:

"We had to wait in the waiting room for a long time. Then the nurse took me in and did some tests, then put me back in the waiting room for another long time. Then someone called me and took me to a room. I sat there for the rest of the time. At first I thought they forgot about me and I would have to wait for the rest of the night, but dad said  there were a lot of other patients to attend to, so they would be a little late. Then I started to fall asleep, but I kept waking up and thinking how late we were going to get home. I just wanted my bed, but my ear really hurt bad and there was pus coming out with some blood. 
Finally someone came in. I thought she was the nurse, but she was just putting a cart of hospital stuff like band aids into the room. I fell back to sleep. After a while dad woke me up and the doctor was there. He asked dad a couple of questions, then looked in my ear and said I wasn't allowed to swim. He also told me if I take a shower I have to plug my ear up so that no water can come in. He gave me a pill and some children's Advil.
When we got home it was 1:30 am, so I went straight to bed (I'm not used to being up that late... only at sleepovers with my friends)." 
Kalina




Thank-you to all for your calls, prayers and good wishes.

Love You!

No comments: