Tuesday, November 15, 2011

On Auto Pilot

Some days I feel like I'm on autopilot. Just going through the motions. Following a set railway that's hard to de-rail off of. The heart is just not in the daily routine. So, I get tired and cranky irritating those around me.
At times, I even feel resentment, because I'm not able to do what I want to do. So, I go on strike and don't do the things I should do. Again, irritating others.
Yes, within me lies a deep rebellion that's been handed down through the generations. I try to keep it under control... but... every so often... it rears it's ugly head.

It happens:
When I'm tired.
When I'm not feeling well.
When I'm weak.
When I haven't had much family time because life is too busy.
When I hold on to disappointments and hurts, trying to fix them on my own.
When I haven't spent time alone with God and His beautiful creation.

The world says I need to be busy, because otherwise I'm not successful. The world has beaten out a set path for all to follow, at least those who wish to be successful.

We need a new car.
We need a big house.
We need a Gucci bag.
We need our children to be in 13 million extra curricular activities, education, education, education!
We need a 200 inch flat screen T.V.
We don't need God or His natural creation.

Thomas Paine in his book called Common Sense, wrote on the 2 'states' of man. The state of 'civilized' life from which flow the advantages of agriculture, arts, science and manufactures and the 'natural' state or primitive state of man.

"To understand what the state of society ought to be, it is necessary to have some idea of the natural and primitive state of man; such as it is at this day among the Indians of North America. There is not, in that state, any of those spectacles of human misery which poverty and want present to our eyes in all the towns and streets in Europe.
Poverty, therefore, is a thing created by which is called civilized life. It exists not in the natural state."


"Poverty comes from civilized life." 
Is it not best to live in a more natural state then? If we could get rid of poverty, not only in a physical sense, but also poverty in a spiritual sense; wouldn't that be a good thing? I do understand that agriculture, arts, science and manufacturing would slow down considerably but in the long run it could save us from the misery of poverty inside and out.

Following what others want deprives us of following what we were meant to do. What we were born to do. What God created us to do.

Our life is a story. When we are born the letters form into words; as we get older the words form into sentences, paragraphs, chapters, and finally at the end we have a whole book.  Depending on choices we make at the cross-roads of life determines the kind of book we will end up with; a good read or bad one?

"We are not living in a world where all roads are radii of a circle and where all, if followed long enough, will therefore draw gradually nearer and finally meet at the center; rather in a world where every road, after a few miles, forks into two, and each of those into two again, and at each fork you must make a decision." 
C.S Lewis from 'The Great Divorce'

Is your life a top seller or is it a flop? You can change the direction by the decisions you make today.

Micah 6:8 (NCV)
"The Lord has told you, human, what is good;
he has told you what he wants from you;
to do what is right to other people,
love being kind to others,
and live humbly, obeying your God.


Don't ride through life alone on auto pilot. You are in the driver's seat!
And may I make a suggestion? Keep God in your co-pilot seat.

No comments: