Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dead Plants on my Window Sill

"Your green thumb must be on vacation." He smiled at me, "If you need something to write. How about writing about the dead plants on our window sill." He was joking of course. I had asked for my husbands help in finding a topic to write about today. You see, I've been given a challenge to write one blog per day for the month of November. 
"Some of the leaves are still green." I replied, deciding to take on his challenge. Besides, the plants weren't totally dead yet.

John 15:1-5 CEV
"Jesus said to his disciples: I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts away every branch of mine that doesn't produce fruit. But He trims clean every branch that does produce fruit, so that it will produce even more fruit. You are already clean because of what I have said to you.
Stay joined to me, and I will stay joined to you. Just as a branch cannot produce fruit unless it stays joined to the vine, you cannot produce fruit unless you stay joined to me. I am the vine, and you are the branches. If you stay joined to me, and I stay joined to you, then you will produce lots of fruit. But you cannot do anything without me."

"I don't love me." I have felt this about myself many times over the 45 years of life that I've been given, "My nose is too big, my face is too small, my eyes are too close together." That's just my physical features.
"I yell at my kids, I lack compassion for whiners and I have not loved those around me as Christ wants me to." These are my characteristics or spiritual features. Now, I need to get into the regretful choices I've made over the years... Na... I'll skip over those... it would take too long to write them all down.
Yes, it's true, I don't always love me. Perhaps, you don't always love you?
I know someone who does love me 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and that's what keeps me going.
When we disconnect ourselves from the vine and we try to do 'life'  on our own we end up brittle, dry and lifeless. Like those plants on the window sill (although they are not quite dry and brittle yet, with some tender love and care, they can be revived... hopefully). Same thing with us. When we feel angry at ourselves, or regret choices we have or have not made, we become crusty and lifeless and that's when we need to get fed, watered and get ourselves connected to the vine, and fast, before we make more regretful choices that end up killing us.

I see that some of your leaves are still green....Please do something for yourself and take a risk... Get connected to someone who loves you so much, he thinks you're worth dieing for. Someone worth dieing for by Mikeschair
He came so that we may have life and have it abundantly. He is the living water and can revive anyone who wants it. All you have to do is take the risk and ask. Without risk, there is no exploration and no discovery of something amazing.

Well, I guess I should go water my plants now.

"Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring." Oscar Wilde

No comments: