Monday, November 14, 2011

Being Ridiculed in Both of Canada's Official Languages

"Ta visage ressemble a une poubelle." My oldest sang out to her younger sibling.
"Tu etes un visage de poissons."My youngest pointed out and giggled at her sister.
"I knew these French immersion classes would pay off one day," I said to my hubby, "I love listening to them speak french." We had no idea what they were saying, but I guess that was the point. They had a secret language all their own. At least they weren't arguing. We had been in the car for 3 hours, without incident.
"Tu etes une vache!"
"TU ETES UNE COCHON, GLOUTON!"
"Okay! That sounded hurtful." I piped in.
"Non." they both sang in unison, "We're just having fun."
"Say something french to me." Rene asked them, looking to get in on the fun.
"Papa que vous sentez comme un grand pet." If they had room to roll to the ground laughing that's what they would have done.
"Great!" Rene rolled his eyes, "They can now ridicule us in Canada's two official languages."
"I don't know." I said stroking his arm, "It sounded beautiful." Then the laughter got louder.
"Maman?"
"Oui." I tried in my best french accent.
"Est-ce-que je peux conduire la voiture?"
"Sure honey!"

"Foolishness always results when the tongue outraces the brain."
Anonymous

Tip for today:
Communication is important, even in Canada's official two languages.

Translations:
Ta visage ressemble a une poubelle (Your face looks like a garbage pail).
Tu etes un visage de poissons (You're a fish face).
Tu etes une vache! (You are a cow).
TU ETES UNE COCHON, GLOUTON (You are a greedy pig).
Papa que vous sentez comme un grand pet (Dad, you smell like a big fart).
Est-ce-que je peux conduire la voiture (Can I drive the car).

Here is a link for those of you who don't speak french and need a little help, like me: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/


Have fun!











No comments: